It has been a month since I joined college! So much has changed and little is the same, really. Here are things that dawned upon me one month into college;
1) Bollywood has blatantly lied to us all these years
One month into college, you hear me? ONE MONTH and not a single sudden dance sequence has happened on the staircase. Professors don’t look like Sushmita Sen and guys don’t sport Hrithik Roshan physiques! So much for Bollywood.
2) Eighteen-year-olds are babies
One moment you are excited about being an adult at last, and the other moment you realize you’re the youngest in the entire campus! Seniors are going to look at you and exclaim, “Whoa, you kids are so young! Just out of school!”. Pfft.
3) Food takes precedence over everything else
Had I spent the time, that I spent exploring different food joints in and around the campus, doing something productive, life would have been different. No kidding.
4) Board Exams were over-hyped
Pretty much everybody, from parents to teachers to relatives, made it a point to tell us over and over again that Boards were the end of all our struggles. WRONG! The exams were absolutely and totally over-hyped.
5) You will meet many like-minded people
Maybe it is to do with the fact that since everyone is enrolled for the same course, they tend to have similar interests. But the truth is that you would come across so many like-minded people that you click with instantly. A social butterfly’s paradise, if you ask me!
6) WAY too many people go to DPS
No kidding. They’re everywhere. Everywhere.
7) It’s hard to tell a senior apart from a batch-mate
8) Nobody really cares
Nup, nobody. Neither the teachers nor your parents. Not even you, for that matter!
9) NCERT Books had been sent from heaven
Only when I realised I had to refer to an entire library did I realise the importance of our good old NCERT’s. Sigh, sweet days.
10) Attendance matters like nothing else
Nothing else. At all. Everybody comes for attendance.
11) School friends fall apart
No matter how much you want otherwise, school friends grow apart. That is because all your school friends will now have an independent life that will be, more often than not, mutually exclusive from yours.
12) People will be too quick to judge
And you will judge them quickly too. Maybe that’s just how the adult world is like; books are judged by covers.
13) It’s going to be a while before you settle in
Partially because of the new people, and partially because of the new place. No matter how much you try, it would take a while before you really feel like you belong.
14) The importance of Friday dawns upon you
College will, in all probability, suck the life out of you during the week. You would crave the weekend like never before!
15) Monica Geller was right all along